Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring Awakening

I was anxious to get out into the yard and take a look at what's popping up. The weather is finally turning warm and sunny, so I knew there would be lots of goodies springing up from the ground.

Our first garden plantings (made April 2nd) are coming up nicely: heirloom radishes, kohlrabi, and spinach. Colby planted second rows of each on Sunday. Our garden will be bigger this year since we got rid of the old plastic play ground.




I planted something in the flower pot on the deck. I'm not quite sure what is was, but whatever it is sure looks good so far.



As I walked around the house I noticed another common site in the Vescapades yard: dog holes. Mo likes to dig down to dredge up some cool dirt in which to lay. The spot right by the meter is her favorite.



One new addition to this year's landscaping is our Welcome Gnome.



A few other new additions are cuttings from my mother-in-law's hostas. All four are growing, even the one we thought might not make it. It's pretty cool to have a piece of their house at our house.



Returning from last year are the oregano and the clematis vine. I have a feeling both will be very prolific this year. In fact, the oregano looks like it could take over the world.




This weekend we will start shopping for heirloom tomato plants, peppers, and jalepenos. Cucumbers and squash are coming soon, as well. I can't wait.

No comments: