Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Little More on Inspiration

I sometimes get requests for the list of songs on my yoga playlists.  The music I use in my yoga practice is a big deal to me, and I invest an abundance of time and thought into my playlists.  Even if my students aren't listening to the words of the songs, I hope they realize that my goal in planning a playlist is to inspire their practice.  I pick songs with a satisfying tempo to inspire our bodies, and songs with meaningful words to inspire our minds and spirits.  Some songs are, of course, just for fun.  I mean, The Pina Colada Song doesn't really inspire anything besides cringes, right?

What makes music inspiring for our minds and spirits? Music can trigger a memory from youth or from a special day.  My yogis will often hear me say things like, "This takes me back to 7th grade at the roller skating rink," or "Any other children of the 90's remember this one?"  There are times when I have students who weren't even born when I reference a song from the 90s, and I'm certain they think I'm insane.  

Sometimes you find pieces of people you know in a song.  We all have moments where we hear a song and are immediately reminded of a friend or loved one.  Some memories are joyful and some are somber, but no matter what emotions spring forth we are grateful for what these people mean to us.  I have cried more than once in yoga class because of a certain song and how it relates to the struggles I'm having or the joys I'm experiencing.  

Plus, I love to sing along to music while I practice yoga.  Sorry, yogis.  

Starting with this post I will from time to time share some of my favorite yoga playlist songs.  Obviously, you can listen to music outside the yoga studio, so I hope these songs can help carry you and inspire you when you need a little joy.  

The first playlist I'm sharing is one centered around friendship and love.  Forming bonds with others can bring both joy and sorrow.  Grief is the price we pay for loving, but how terrible would it be if we never had anything worth losing or grieving?  


Song for a Friend by Andreya Triana (gosh, I've shed more tears over this song than I'd like to admit)
You are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne (yeah, I kind of love his voice)
Just Breathe by Pearl Jam (seriously, if you can listen to the lyrics, "I'm a lucky man to count on both            hands the ones I love," and not be filled with boundless joy then you may not be a human                    being.)


There are probably a hundred more songs I could add to this list, but this is a good start.  Have a song that inspires you?  Please share it with me!!  

 

No comments: