Friday, May 10, 2013

The Hens are Here!

After weeks and weeks of working on the chicken coop, it was finally ready for our hens.

I drove to Palmer to pick up our hens.  Here are a few photos of the place where they were raised, a cozy little farm where they were fed table scraps and chased by children.  In other words, a pretty good chicken life.




They weren't exactly excited about the trip home in our old minivan, and neither was I.  Frankly, chickens don't smell very good, and it made for a pretty long two hour trip.


And here they are in their new home, a home lovingly planned and built with great contemplation and precision by my handsome hubby:


The dogs were quite interested in our new friends:


We ended up with 4 hens...and one rooster.  Roosters are not welcome in the city, and we didn't want him anyway.  He was accidentally given to us after a slight (yet later obvious) mix-up and my friend's farm.  About a week later, she came to pick up the rooster to take him back to the farm, and she left us another hen.  So, the Vescapades family now welcomes Henrietta, Lindsey, Lorraine, Cheep Cheep, and Change. 

We are officially Urban Farmers.  Next project: garden.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I am so jealous of those chickens. I am totally toying with a set of my own!