Wednesday, December 31, 2014

S*** Just Got Real

Those of you who know me well know that I have a terrible potty mouth.  I apologize in advance for that, but I am what I am.  Thankfully, I no longer fill my mouth with foods that belong flushed down the potty.  Haha!!

Starting tomorrow, January 1, 2015,  shit.gets.real.  I mean, really real.  No more fake.  Be prepared to feel like crap for a few days.  Be prepared to be crabby.  I am prepared to receive your texts, emails, phone calls, whatever to help you out and answer questions.  If you eliminate sugar (like I am doing for 10 days) you will feel light headed, tired, lethargic, irritated, and well, shitty.  Completely cutting out sugar is optional, but I recommend at least doing it for detox.  If you choose to do the sugar detox no sugar besides natural sugar in fruit/veggies in allowed.  No honey or agave or maple syrup.  Nothing.

By joining this challenge you are making the following commitments:

1.  I will weigh myself in the next few days to see from where I start.  I will not let this number make me depressed.  This number is the beginning of something amazing.  This number doesn't define me.  This number is just one of the many ways I will chart my progress.  I will record this number and not speak of it again for at least a few weeks.

2.  I will drastically or completely limit my intake of added sugar and sweeteners.  In fact, for the next 10 days sugar and I are on a break.  I'm not kidding: the only added sugar I will eat is in my coffee.  Whole fruit is great; fruit juice is off limits.  Naturally occurring sugar in tomatoes and fruit and carrots, etc is acceptable.  Absolutely no artificial sweeteners.  They do bad, bad things to me (including destroying my gut's bacterial balance, giving me headaches and terrible farts, causing MS, increasing my risk of Type-2 diabetes and obesity and maybe even MS).  Eat a banana or have a pear.  I can do this!!  Sugar in all its forms is everywhere in everything.  Click on the link for a great list of all the ways sugar is listed on food labels.

3.  I will read the label of every food before I eat it.  Even better, I will eat foods that don't come with labels: fresh fruits and veggies!!  Any food with artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors NEVER MAKES IT INTO MY BODY.  Any food with more than five ingredients NEVER MAKES IT INTO MY BODY.  Any food labeled "light" or "low fat" or "non fat" or "diet" NEVER MAKES IT INTO MY BODY.  Stop it.  Now.

4.  I will either start a food diary or log on to My Fitness Pal (or other ap) to keep track of what I eat and how much I exercise.

5.  I will exercise to the point where I am sweating at least 30 minutes 4 or more times per week.  I will be someone's exercise buddy.

6.  I will cook absolutely, positively everything I can from scratch (bread, tortillas, pasta sauce, pizza crust, etc).  I will ask my spouse to help me with meals if I feel overwhelmed.  My kids will help me clean up.  If I can't make it from scratch, I will read the label before I buy it to see what it's made of.  Every single label. Every time.  Look back at numbers 2 and 3 to know whether or not to put said food in your cart.  I will help my friends with food prep and planning if they ask.  I will ask for help when I need it.

7.  I will take time every day for myself.  I am the most important member of my family.  I am the heart and soul and stomach and brain.  I will let myself rest and restore.

So, that's the start of our commitment.  If we stick to these rules we can almost completely eliminate processed foods.  Remember: you have to pick your battles.  If you had a freaking terrible day and having to cook and clean up a meal would be the straw that breaks the camel's back then, hey, feed the kids scrambled eggs and toast (that's a pretty darn good, REAL meal) or a bowl of cereal and some apples.  Once we have these seven tasks mastered, we can expand.  So, if you're ready to get real and be the Best Me you can be...Let's do this!






No comments: