Thursday, January 1, 2015

(Wo)Man Cannot Live By Bread Alone

I've spent quite a bit of time focusing on what I eat or don't eat.  However, what makes us happy and healthy goes far beyond what we eat and drink or how much we exercise.  Throughout 2014 I made a commitment to improve the most important factor in lifelong happiness and success: my Village.

I've said before that our 2013 fire was truly a blessing in disguise.  Not only is my house decluttered, but I also learned how kind, supportive, and nourishing people are.  We were showered with love and warmth until we were literally flooded, and it was spectacular.  The only way I could ever, ever repay is to spread that warmth out into the world.

You know what?  Being a kind, giving, nourishing person really makes you feel good.  I've seized every opportunity to be there for others, to be helpful, to be steadfast, to listen, to share, and to forgive.  I want to make people feel good about themselves and be a positive influence.

To be the Best Me means being someone else's partner, friend, confidant.  So, here are some commitments I'm making to help grow a happier, healthier, stronger Village:

1.  Make time for face to face contact with friends and family.  More coffee dates.  More girl time.  More friendsies yoga.

2.  Ask friends for help when I need it and lend a hand when asked.  I ask that my friends be willing to bear my troubles with me, and I in turn promise to bear you burdens, as well.  Why would I want to deal with other people's problems??  Well, these "other people" aren't just people; they are the folks who make up my Village.  When they are healthier then my community is healthier.  I'm building up social resources, a social savings account, so to speak.  Trust me...you'll need it.

3.  Along the same lines as #2, I commit to sharing whatever resources I have available to friends who need them.  That doesn't always mean money; sometimes it does.  It's a skills and resources barter system, but with this system you don't keep track of who owes you what.  If I buy you lunch or a drink or do you a favor, I consider it an action of love and friendship all on its own.  I hope that someone, someday can repay, but that never means I expect an equal and timely repayment of the favor/act.  The truth is that sometimes we quite literally have nothing left to give.  I accept that, and I hope you, too, can see the value in sharing your resources without expectation.  I've found that good karma always has a way of finding its way home.

So, there you have it.  Building the Best Me often means helping others build their best selves, as well.

Namaste, friends!  I leave you with a photo of friendship written in blood and ink; but more importantly a quote about how friendships often begin.  We crossed paths at the right time.  




No comments: