Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Corn Muffins

I love cookbooks. I own a few, and I love to check them out from the library. My newest book is America's Hometown Recipe Book. It caught my eye because I always see recipes as a part of our culture and history, and what could be better than a cookbook with a collection of recipes from churches, fairs, and bake sales?



Side note: I love the butter crock (pictured in the background) we bought in Princeton, NJ. It keeps the butter soft and spreadable. And it totally matches my kitchen decor. Holla!

I had a go at Blackberry Corn Muffins. I love, love, love using cornmeal in desserts, so I was chomping at the bit to make these. Here are the ingredients:

1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. cornmeal (I used yellow)
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 containers (6oz each) fat free yogurt
2 Tbl. unsalted butter, melted
1 c. fresh or frozen blackberries

As you can see from the ingredients list, these are actually pretty healthy as far as muffins go. When I prepared my batch, I ran into a few problems.

Problem #1: I didn't exactly have the yogurt called for in the recipe, so I used one carton of Greek yogurt with blueberries and some plain vanilla. I used the Greek yogurt cup to measure out 6oz. of the vanilla yogurt.



Problem #2: I had no frozen blackberries, so I used strawberries. Next time I'll either stick with blackberries or bluebaerries (which I had but didn't know I had because they were buried in the freezer).

They make a really pretty batter, though.



And when they were done baking, Evelyn came into the kitchen and said, "MMMMMMM, those muffins are so pretty!"



Disregard those mini donuts in the background. Pretend you never saw them.

I ate some muffins; they made a great accompaniment to my morning yogurt. I also froze the extras, but I haven't tried them yet to see how they held up. I'll take some out of the freezer right now.

No comments: