Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11

September 11, 2001 was a sad day in American history.  Sad isn't even the right word.  Tragic.  Frightening.  Earth shattering.  I could feel the pain all the way in Nebraska, and the air at Ground Zero still hung heavy with sorrow when we visited in 2011 although so much time had passed. 

In the face of great suffering, Americans came together to support those who lost their lives and loved ones in the disaster now known as 9/11.  I took a moment in my yoga class this morning to honor those who suffered that day.  I also asked my students to send wishes of love, peace, and grace to all the people who continue to be victimized by terrorists every day around the world.

Although Americans remember this one day when we were brutalized, we cannot forget that people here in America and all over the world suffer every single day.  An event of mass casualty will always be burned into our minds.  However, our care and compassion cannot begin and end with a major event.

If there is anything that you can do today to ease the suffering of another, I urge you to do it.  Something as small as an encouraging word can make a difference.  I have experienced the power of gratitude, of kind words, of a hug, of shedding a tear with a friend. 

On this day and every day, namaste.  I honor the life force and spirit in you and know that we are all connected.  I greet that place where you and I are one.

No comments: