Sunday, January 12, 2014

Shower Curtain RIng Wreath

Most of you know that I co-lead Girl Scout troops for both of my girls.  I'm mostly writing this post to help my co-leader with this week's craft since I can't be at the meeting.  Plus, since Evelyn won't be at the meeting, I knew she would want to make the craft on her own.  Finally, her trial run making the craft gave me an idea about how long it will take: about 30 minutes.

All you need to make a shower curtain ring wreath ornament is the ring, some yarn, some ribbon, a glue gun or glue, and some little decorations (stickers, buttons, flowers, etc.)  Since the girls are making these as gifts for their teachers, I am also having them decorate a little gift bag.

So, Step 1:
  Cut a looooooong piece of yarn (mine was probably about 5-6 feet, but I had quite a bit leftover) for each wreath.  Make sure the shower curtain ring is latched shut, and then glue the end of the yarn somewhere on the ring.  I used a kid-safe cool temperature glue gun, so Evelyn could do this step on her own.  Hold the yarn onto the ring while the glue dries.  Count to 10!


Now, start looping your wad of yarn over and over through the ring wrapping the yarn as you go. Wrap the yarn nice and tight.  Your wad of yarn might get tangled, so be careful.  If your yarn gets too tangled, you can cut it off and start with a new piece.


Keep going all the way around...


Step 2:
  Once you have the yarn wrapped all the way around the ring, cut off any extra yarn and then glue the end down.  Once again, thanks to the cool temperature glue gun Evelyn could do it herself.


Step 3:
  Cut a piece of ribbon, and tie a knot close to the ring.


Tie another knot at the top of the ribbon making a hanger for your wreath.


Step 3:
  Add little decorations using glue or a glue gun.  This is Evelyn's finished product:


Let each girl decorate a gift bag with some stickers, and there you go!  Easy little craft for my lovely little Girl Scouts.


I will miss seeing my Brownies AGAIN at this week's meeting, but I hope they have fun making the project!

No comments: