Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Summer Ahead

I remember when my life consisted of tests and studying and raising a baby. At the time it all seemed so complicated, going to college and nurturing a newly formed family. Coming up on 12 years and 3 more kids later, those times seem so simple and manageable. It's hard to believe that once upon a time I worried about finals while trying to convince Dade to watch just one more episode of Barney.

School is out next week, and all I can think about is having my 4 kids and the 2 daycare kids here all day for 3 months. Seriously, I am not looking forward to summer. Two kids in baseball, two kids in dance, one kid in summer school activities, one mom who still wants to work out, two 2-year-olds that need to be potty trained, and two boys who want to do nothing more than play Wii all summer. Can I please have 1999 back?

Many of my friends are packing up there families for vacation, but, alas, the Vescapades family is homebound. Vacation with 4 kids doesn't sound much like vacation at all. The thought of spending hundreds of dollars on 4 kids in a hotel room eating fast food for days is frightening. We tried it last year at Great Wolf Lodge, and I had a headache the whole time. And camping? Yes, if there is a cabin and plumbing and air conditioning and some way to keep us from getting tons of mosquito bites (Evie and I are allergic) and sun burn. Car trips are out of the question, unless one is in the mood to listen to Soren cry and Evie whine and the boys fight. All this happens just taking them to school in the morning. The school is like a mile away.

Anyone want to buy me a one way ticket to insanity? No? It's fine. I think I've already got one.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

For me (and I have just have one kid!), the transition always sucks. I recommend: 1) a schedule 2) a commitment to the work out (because, hey sanity is on the line) and 3) a teenager to help out for a couple of hours once or twice a week?

Also: adult beverages.

Hang in there.