Saturday, February 19, 2011

Applesauce

I ate an entire apple pie the day of the Super Bowl. For real. It was delicious. However, seeing as I am participating in a Biggest Loser-style competition, perhaps eating an entire apple pie isn't a great idea. Actually, it's never a great idea. Applesauce is a decent and more healthy substitute for pie.

Look, I can even get the peel off of the apple in one big line!



Ingredients:

4 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 c. sugar (or less, depending on the type of apples you use)
1/2 c. water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (adjust the amount to your liking)

Put everything in a saucepan, mix it up, and simmer on low heat until the apples are tender. I use my immersion blender to make the apple chunks into sauce, but a blender or food processor would work. Or just leave the apples really chunky like pie filling.



Apple pie, I will see you again my friend. But until we meet again, your cousin applesauce will have to do.

No comments: