Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Sports, Nebraska Style

Spring in Nebraska, and Nebraska weather in general, can be tricky sometimes.  When two of the kids decided they wanted to play Spring sports I was excited.  I hate summer sports, mostly because I am a princess and can't tolerate the heat.  One would think that having the kids play Spring sports would be a safe bet.

And one would have thought wrong.

We've already had snow cancellations for both soccer and football.  The fields are sopped from rain falling on top of melted snow.  And the sun? I think I may have forgotten what the sun looks like.  I have been so ravenously hungry lately, and I honestly believe it is my body thinking it needs to store up food for winter.  Seriously, I need some sun.  Sixty degrees wouldn't be so bad, either.

Despite the weather, the games must go on as best they can.  Evelyn is playing soccer for the first time.  Colby is coaching soccer for the first time.  I honestly thought Evelyn wouldn't want to play and that she would want to chill out on the sidelines and watch the other girls run.  She proved me wrong yet again.  All six of the girls on the team are full of excitement and energy, which makes watching and coaching them such a joy.



Brody is playing organized flag football for the first time.  Colby is also coaching Brody's team.  Colby coached Dade's flag football team five years ago, but Dade never really got into sports.  Brody loves, loves, loves to play backyard football with the neighborhood boys, but he has never played on an organized team before.  Like his mama, he doesn't like to play games if there is a chance he won't win.  

Colby has a great time coaching the boys.  He always worries that parents will be upset at how he coaches or mad that they lose games, but I know that he spends so much time drawing up plays and thinking of practice drills.  Any coach that devotes this much time to a team is a great coach!  

Here are a few photos from Brody's most recent game.  His team lost, but they had a great time.  Mama and the sisters had a lovely time cheering on the team. 







Here's to hoping that Spring weather shows up for Spring sports season.  Either way, I guess we'll keep braving the elements to cheer on our teams.


No comments: