Monday, July 1, 2013

Backyard Farm Update

I haven't posted any new garden photos lately, and so much is going on back there.   Summer is finally in full force around here, bringing lots of sun and warm temperatures. 

The tomatoes are heavy with fruit.


The lettuce is growing happily in the gutter.


The potato towers are looking good on the outside, but I'm not sure (of course) what's going on underneath the green tops.


The rows of onions, kohlrabi, beans, beets, and carrots aren't doing so well thanks to the wet, cold Spring and our poor soil.  The veggies are hanging in there, though, and will hopefully bring us good eats.



We can't forget about the chickens!!  The coop has been working really well, and it has made a great addition to our backyard.  The hens get to run in the garden while it is shady in the evenings, and Colby and I enjoy sitting with them.  We even spent a kid-free Friday night just sitting in the garden with the chickens.  Yep.  We are officially lame.
 


The chickens are getting fat and have started laying eggs.  Here are some photos of our very first egg, laid by Lindsey:






This is our little ball of fire, Henrietta.  She likes to fly up in our faces.  She pooped on Evelyn.  Twice.  She also bit me on the butt when I bent over in the coop.

 


Unfortunately, we had a chicken tragedy a few weeks ago: a brave chicken was sticking her head through the gate to eat grass, and our little dog snatched her right through the fence.  Dead hen; proud dog. Really, really pissed off husband. Luckily for us the kids were gone and didn't have to witness the chicken carnage.  We rescued two hens from life in a crowded shed and brought them to our little slice of chicken heaven. So, one chicken dies and two take her place. 

So, that's life on our little farm.  It makes me wish I could have a yard full of chickens, an acre of garden, and a little tractor to mow the yard.  Then I remember that I need to be no farther than 15 minutes from a Target, and I realize just how happy I am on my little suburban farm.

No comments: