Thursday, February 26, 2015

Handy

I blame the Girl Scout cookies.  

You know what I mean.  I was doing so well reducing sugar until cookie season.  I can't blame the cookies for all the pasta I've eaten this month, but I cannot be held responsible for the sugar.  Curse you, cookies!!  

Honestly, I absolutely do have control of what I put in my mouth.  I've made some bad food choices in February, but this week I am working on rebooting the diet plan.  I was talking to one of the trainers at the gym where I work, and she started following a diet called "intuitive eating."  Basically, you eat whatever you want focusing on nutritionally dense food and "junk food" in moderation with the understanding that some things you eat aren't actually food (Fruity Pebbles, Totino's pizza, Cheetos, Girl Scout cookies...).  This diet plan assumes that you can be intuitive as to what foods are nutritious or not.  The problem is that there are so many people who think (thanks to advertising) a Hot Pocket or a Lean Cuisine meal meet the definition of food.  They don't.  Intuitive eating is definitely something to explore, though, because it allows you to eat what you want when you want it.  There isn't any denial of food, but intuitive eating demands some conscientiousness about what exactly food is.

She also mentioned how she was using My Fitness Pal and had the same problems with it cursing her out for eating too much fat or eggs, etc.  I felt better about ditching My Fitness Pal after talking to her about its shortfalls.  Again, counting calories is important in weight loss, but I strongly believe that eating whole, nutritious food is much more important than dwelling on calories.  


Enough food talk.  More fun talk.  This is good stuff right here:



I always say that our bodies are really amazing things, and our fingers are no exception.  I mentioned earlier that I have a young friend battling cancer.  If you are able, please consider using a finger to clink this link to read her story and donate to her Go Fund Me campaign.   Jenn is truly kind and bubbly and smart and beautiful and strong; I really don't have enough adjectives in my vocabulary to complement her.  

Our hands are one of the most impressive tools on Earth.  Their dexterity is unmatched in nature.  Our hands are expressive and warm (or cold, like mine).  They hold the ones we love.  They change our babies' diapers and lovingly stroke our pets.  My favorite thing that hands do?  High fives.  

What will your hands do today?  Whether you type an email or bake a loaf of bread, take a moment to appreciate how great your hands are.  And remember to give a high five or two while you're at it.




No comments: