Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cherry Cobbler Even Colby Will Eat

Cherries are inexpensive and delicious right now. I bought a big bag full, and bit off more than I could chew. Ha ha. With a ton of fresh cherries almost ready to spoil, I decided to make a cobbler.

I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked to fit the bill. Colby, who will not eat any type of fruity dessert, was convinced to try it after I told him it wasn't sour at all. In fact, I said, I actually didn't like the cobbler that much because I like a much more tart cherry cobbler. If you like your cherry cobbler a little sour, this recipe isn't for you.

The only changes I made to the recipe were that I used 1/2 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. all purpose flour instead of entirely all purpose. It worked just fine. I also decreased the amount of sugar added with the boiling water after reading the reviews accompanying the recipe. It was definitely sweet enough even though I used less than the called-for amount of sugar.

3 Tbls. butter, melted
1 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk (I used skim)

1 c. white sugar (I used closer to 3/4 cup)
1 Tbls. corn starch
1 c. boiling water

3 1/2 c. fresh cherries, pitted

Place cherries evenly on the bottom of a non-stick sprayed 9 inch square baking pan. This is where it helps to have a little girl.


Mix 3/4 c. sugar, butter, flour, salt, baking powder and milk together in a small bowl. Spread this dough over the pitted cherries.

In another small bowl, combine 1 c. sugar (I used less here) and cornstarch. Stir in boiling water. Pour mixture evenly over the dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve it the Vescapades way: topped with tons of whipped cream!

No comments: