Sunday, April 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Party to Me! (part 1)

Okay, so I can't actually pretend like I'm writing this post on April 17th. The fact of the matter is that it's April 24th, and I am finally getting caught up on my blogging. I've been spending more time at the gym which is taking time away from blogging. It's a fair trade, but I find both practices therapeutic and necessary to my sanity.

Anyway, my annual birthday party was fabulous, fantastic, and um,...FUN! We started with supper and wine at the Green Gateau, as usual. Unfortunately, my brother in law and his beautiful wife couldn't make it this year because they have a new little guy who's still nursing and needs his mama. It's fine, and I accepted their absence, but they were missed. My good friends Keri and Scott also couldn't make it because they didn't have a babysitter. The lesson here: kids ruin everything: your fun, your plans, and your body. Kidding. Jessica and Jim Hoss couldn't make it again this year, but next year I'm sure they'll be there....right???

I am eternally grateful for all of my friends. I am blessed to have them, and I am thankful they can tolerate me. They are truly what makes me stronger, better, and more compassionate. They make me laugh. They make me cry. They even sometimes make me want to punch them in the face. That's what makes a family: love and conflict, laughter and tears. I want to take this time to honor them and their friendship.

My best friend, my partner, my baby daddy. We're celebrating 13 years of marriage next month. Seriously, we're getting old, Babe.


This is Lisa. She's fighting cancer, and she's a winner. Her disease was caught very early, and she'll only have to miss one night of bowling league while she's having a radiation treatment. I call her the Bionic Woman.


Amanda has been my friend for 10 years. She's talented, smart, and funny. She will always have my back and will never be afraid to tell me I'm messing up. Just don't piss her off.


Dede and I became friends through our now-2nd grade sons when they were kindergarteners. She is hands down the nicest person on the planet.


Sara and I met while working at ShopKo while we were in high school. For those of you who are counting, I graduated in 1997, so that's a looooong time. Sara is beautiful, strong, and dependable. That's how you last 15 years with me. She also likes wine and pretty much knows how my brain works better than I do.


This is Ja. She and her husband live across the street from me. They are the best neighbors ever. Ja is always there with an open bottle of wine or a margarita. Coffee, too, if that's how you roll. She and her hubby have made our life in the neighborhood very happy.


Travis is Sara's husband, and bearded Jon is Dede's husband. I also worked with Travis at ShopKo all those years ago. Great guys, great dads, but their wives really make them great. Sorry, boys!! :-)


Heath is one of my most recently acquired friends, and Cody is my oldest friend. Heath has the pleasure of gaining my friendship through his marriage to Amanda. Cody has recently reentered our lives, and we are so happy to have him back! Both of these guys are sweet, generous, and funny. They are two of my absolute favorite people to goof around with.


The best part about my birthday party is gathering my favorite people for a rally fun celebration of how important they all are to me. The party may be in honor of me, but it's really all of them that I cherish.

No comments: