Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cute and Smart

Homeschooling. I have a good friend who does it. I know others who do. Although I can't imagine homeschooling my own rowdy gaggle of mini-mes, I did actually teach my youngest two a preschool curriculum. In essense, I home preschooled them. The cost of sending a child to a "real" preschool was not in our budget, so with a few books from the store and some worksheets from the Internet I worked with the girls. Evelyn started kindergarten when she was 5, right on schedule. She's a smart kid. Soren has an autumn birthday, and with the new law changes she misses the cutoff to attend kindergarten. We have been working at home in our books, and she mastered most of the skills in the "get ready for kindergarten" books. I wondered what I would do next with her, perhaps starting a kindergarten curriculum?? Instead, we decided to have her take the kindergarten eligibility exam. I consulted with two teachers to see what they thought, and they both agreed she should test. So, she took the exam. After nearly three weeks of waiting, her results came in the mail. Soren passed the exam! She's eligible for kindergarten! As such, we went to our neighborhood school yesterday to register. The school even lets us choose a teacher, so I chose the same teacher Evelyn had. Soren knows her already, and the familiarity will make her transition easier. My smart, beautiful, witty, amazing baby is now a kindergartener. The training wheels are off her bike. Now, we wait for loose teeth.

No comments: