Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Thing Of Beauty

Have you seen the new Cover Girl television commercial running during the Olympics?  It features three normal looking Olympic athletes instead of stick figures, um, models.  Granted, the commercial also shows said athletes wearing makeup while boxing and playing volleyball, but the idea is magnificent.  These women aren't the most beautiful by entertainment industry standards, but they are successful, strong, and relatable in the looks department, you know?

I do a lot of research on Pinterest: recipes, projects, and ideas for my yoga classes.  I love all the healthy recipes, fun exercises, and words of wisdom.  However, anyone who has ever cruised the Health and Fitness category of Pinterest knows what I mean when I say this: Please, no more photos of stick skinny girls with captions like "motivation" or "why I workout".  For too long health has been associated with skinny.  It just isn't true.  With all certainty obesity is a huge (no pun) problem.  However, my size 8-10 is "fat" compared to our society's standard of beauty - or at least one would think so just looking at a magazine or even Pinterest.

I worry a lot about beauty.  Even after all the weight I've lost and all the changes I've made, I still have moments of terrible self esteem.   Teaching yoga is very important to me, and I know that I cannot lead others in a yoga practice if I am not confident in myself.   I get terribly guilty eating a bowl of ice cream or a second helping at supper.  I'm jiggly.  My teeth are crooked and stained.  I have cellulite.  I have bat wings that flop around when I wave.  Maybe, just maybe, if more women like me were promoted as the ideal, and as healthy, my daughters won't have to feel so much anxiety and guilt.  Maybe if more 33-year-old women were hired for beauty ads and fitness photos the world would be just a little happier.

So, thanks to Cover Girl for at least attempting to stretch society's definition of beauty.   Fitness and health don't always come with a perfect six pack and a tight little booty.  Fitness and health at age 33 after birthing four children is certainly not a six pack or tight little booty, no matter what Heidi Klum tells you.

And maybe if I would stop looking to others for validation I could relieve my own stress.  Fitness is not a dress size.  Health cannot be found by comparing yourself to others.  Tomorrow is the day to look in the mirror and see what's there and not what's lacking.

No comments: