Monday, August 6, 2012

Sewing With Grandma

Colby always tells me how much Evelyn acts like me.  She's bossy, stubborn, high maintenance, and generally bitchy.  I mean, I hate to say that about a 7 year old, but the girl acts like she's got her period 24/7.  Of course, I see all those negative characteristics in the proper perspective: she isn't bossy; she just knows that if everyone does it right the first time (her way) everything goes much smoother.  She isn't stubborn; she really believes in her point of view and is not easily persuaded to change her mind.  She isn't high maintenance; she needs things a certain way and at a certain time because life is better for everyone when she's happy.  And the bitchyness?  Well, there is nothing wrong with being assertive, loud, and arrogant when you need to be.  I can't fault her for that.

Anyhoo, the point is that as much as she is like me, Evelyn is also something that I'm not: really good at sewing.  She saved up her birthday money and bought a real-life sewing machine. 


The reason she loves to sew is that my step-mom sews with her every time Evelyn stays at Grandma's house.  She gets to run the sewing machine, which is pretty darn special.  Grandma made a special trip in to Lincoln to help Evie pick out her sewing machine, and she came back another day to sew with her.  Grandma says Evelyn has definitely got some sewing talent. 


After the sewing machine lessons, Grandma even taught Evie how to hand-sew on a button.  She loved it so much that she has been randomly sewing buttons on her fabric.



Evie is looking forward to many more sewing lessons!

No comments: