Friday, February 8, 2013

In Honor of Abundance

This is Lakshmi.

She brings blessings of abundance and prosperity on all levels.  It is believed that Lakshmi is the mother of all, the bringer of prosperity and abundance, and the granter of fearlessness.  It is her greatest joy to bestow her gifts upon all children of creation.  She believes all children of creation deserve to be blessed abundantly.

Now, am I a follower of ancient Indian religion...no.  Do I ascribe to any religion...no.  However, when Lakshmi's card was drawn for me by the employee at one of my favorite yoga/hippie/stoner stores in town, I knew that I liked Lakshmi right away.  If you put $1 in the karma box at said store, they draw a card for you, a sort of tarot reading I guess.  After months of worrying about financial abundance (or the lack thereof), I thought it interesting that her card was drawn for me.

Lakshmi does not just represent monetary abundance.  The gifts she bestows go far beyond, and I realized when her card was drawn for me that I had so many abundant gifts in front of me all the time, even when money wasn't one of them.  I might be beating a dead dog here, but I can't stress enough how my time as a welfare queen gave me a lot of perspective.

So, today when I returned to the store (everything is 30% off there once a month in accordance with the lunar cycle) I saw Lakshmi sitting there in all her made in China glory, and I had to take her home.  She is a reminder to me of all the abundance I have, even if sometimes that abundance is stress.  I think the universe knows that sometimes the abundance of bad makes us appreciate the abundance of good we took for granted.

Plus, she's a mom, and apparently the mother of all.  I can definitely relate to that.

No comments: