Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kolache Lessons

Kolache: a type of Czech pastry that holds a dollop of fruit rimmed by a puffy pillow of supple dough. Well, if you make them right the dough is supple, but I guess that's the point of taking a kolache class.

My husband's family is of Czech ancestry, and one of their favorite pastries is the kolache. While I'm not a huge fan of eating them, I've always wanted to learn how to make them. I saw that the local community college was offering a kolache baking class, so I quickly passed the information on to my sisters-in-law who also signed up for the class. Colby's grandmother is a family's kolache baker, but it's important that we pass the kolache tradition on to the next generation.

I have to point this out first: I had never, ever made a yeast dough. It has always seemed a little intimidating. However, I knew that with my sisters-in-law at my side I could give it a try.





I was surprised at how easy making yeast dough actually is. I don't know why I was so afraid of trying it all these years. See how pretty the dough is?



My dough rolling skills could use some work, but I'm sure I'll improve from batch to batch. Here are my finished pastries!



My first try must've been a good try because the kids devoured all the kolaches. Even I enjoyed eating the ones I filled with cream cheese. They were a little over baked, but the instructor was in command of the ovens. With 13 ladies in the class, she had a lot of pastries to bake, so I understand how some could get overcooked.

I suppose I'll have to make another batch for the next Vescapades family holiday! You ladies will, too, Amber and Carrie!!

No comments: