Saturday, November 12, 2011

Visiting Palmer

Our good friends the Hoss family recently made the move to the country. Yes, they've settled on a little farm so far populated by chickens, rabbits, fruit trees, and children. Really, what could be better?

Colby, the girls, and I made a trip to the farm while the boys headed to Verdigre to deer hunt. It was a perfect November day for traveling and for being outside. The Hoss homestead is overflowing with Midwestern charm: lots of trees, some barns, a grain bin, farm dogs and cats, and a cute house with a wood-burning heating system. Our friends have been working hard to upgrade a house that was pretty beat up when they moved in, and they've done a great job.

We were welcomed with homemade food and all the freedom afforded to having the run of a small farm. The kids held chicks and pet the rabbit. They raked leaves and chased each other around. It was so refreshing to see the girls doing something that I often did as a child on my grandparents' farm.

The best part was that they have a firing range set up to practice shooting. I now know that I'm a pretty good (or pretty lucky) shot. Seriously, I was shocked at my ability to hit a target. Now, could I shoot at something alive....doubt it. I'm seriously considering taking up shooting as a hobby.

We stayed til almost bedtime. Well, Colby had already determined in was his bedtime and fell asleep on the sofa.



The girls played so well together...



We had a lovely time visiting the Hoss farm, and we'll be back very soon! My own Pioneer Woman fantasies can now be fulfilled with a few visits with a good friend. I'll never give up living 15 minutes from a Target store, but I can still have a taste of true Midwestern small-farm life.

No comments: