Monday, March 26, 2012

Why Didn't I Think of That?

I say it a lot, "Why didn't I think of that?" People get rich all the time off of the simplest ideas. Thanks to Pinterest, I have been saying it even more. I have made so many projects from Pinterest ideas: food, crafts, games. I mean, seriously, why didn't I think of these things!?! This week I made some towels that I can attach to the handle of my stove.

Let me say this: I can't sew. I wish I could, but I can't. Maybe when Soren starts school I will take some sewing classes. Until then, I rely on hot glue and liquid stitch.

I love having towels that can hang from my stove handle. They are convenient, they dry quicker, and they are EXPENSIVE. I have purchased some crocheted ones from the farmers market for $6 or $7 per towel. The buttons that keep the towel attached to the stove eventually always fall off, and I can't (obviously) do a very good job of sewing them back on. Plus, the kids pull the towels off the stove handle because one button doesn't hold them on very strong. Never again! All I needed was a little Pinterest inspiration, some Velcro, some Liquid Stitch and voila:



You can see my Velcro-ed towel hanging next to the crocheted ones on my stove. I really love flour sack towels. They are simple, absorbent, and match any decor.

I bought three flour sack towels for about $4. The Velcro was $2.99, but I had a 40%off coupon. Liquid Stitch is kind of pricey (maybe $6), but it finished my whole project with lots to spare. I even had enough Velcro and LS to give one of my old towels an upgrade. The craft store I visited didn't have any iron on Velcro, but that would also work. They also didn't have any white hook and loop Velcro left, so I just used black. I'm not picky.

All you have to do is cut a strip of hook and a strip of loop, use the Liquid Stitch to adhere them to the towel, and then let the adhesive dry for 24 hours.



This is definitely one of my favorite projects yet!!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Awesome......I've been thinking of playing with Pinterest though I know that it will be a time-suck wormhole...will try to hold out until summer vacation.

Hah.