Saturday, January 26, 2013

I'll Be Damned!

Most people who know me know I have a Pinterest problem. I love it so much! It's a recipe book, a yoga lesson plan gold mine, a crafting eutopia, and so much more. Basically, it's crack for a housewife. I try many new crafts, recipes, and cleaning solutions I find in Pinterest. Pinterest has been pivotal in helping me on my quest to use less chemicals on my skin.

Yesterday, I made homemade body soap. It's one of the easier body soap recipes: 1 cup liquid Castile soap, 1/4 cup distilled water (or filtered water, boiled and cooled), and 2 Tablespoons olive or almond or jojoba oil. That's it. It's pretty thin, so I put it in a soap pump instead of a container with a flip-top lid. My next soap endeavor is another liquid body soap made from grated bar soap. Apparently, one can make a gallon of body soap for the cost of 8oz of bar soap (using my favorite Ayurvedic bar soap, this would cost only $3.00 for a gallon of body soap!!). Keep an eye out for that.

I also tried a recipe for tub/tile cleaner, and I'll be damned if it wasn't the BEST thing I've ever used to clean my tub and shower. It really, really worked! You should've seen the look on my face as I wiped away the soap scum...it was like a kid at Christmas. Take 1/2 cup vinegar and heat it for about 60 seconds in the microwave. Pour into a spray bottle with 1/2 cup blue Dawn dish soap. I don't buy Dawn because it doesn't fit the ingredient list for my chemically-reduced lifestyle, so I used the natural dish soap I use. Mix gently, and spray all over the tub and shower. Leave the mixture sit for at least 1 hour, and then just wipe and rinse. No scrubbing necessary. Guess what? It worked, even with my natural dish soap! Seriously, I scrubbed the shower the night before with bleach (I know, chemical!) and a scrub brush, and this mixture got the shower and tub even cleaner!! I may just have to buy some actual Dawn and see if it works even better.

Last but not least, I have a Pinterest solution for a sensitive situation: a smelly bathroom after someone goes #2. Before you or someone else sits down on the toilet, drop 3 or 4 drops of eucalyptus oil into the toilet water. Proceed as usual. Guess what? No stink. For reals.

So, here's to more Pinterest adventures to come! I'll be sure to share.

No comments: