Thursday, January 31, 2013

Snow Day Crafting

Lincoln was slammed with 6 inches of snow in less than 12 hours, bringing us another snow day home from school. We've already had a few snow days, but the difference this time was the temperature: it has been bitterly cold. I'm not sure if the temperature will cooperate enough for the kids to get the sleds out before the snow all melts next week. Temperatures are supposed to be in the upper 40s by Monday. Oh, Nebraska weather.

I took advantage of the snow day by finally starting some craft projects I'd been eyeballing on Pinterest. The girls and I headed downstairs to my bedroom, cranked up the space heater and the Netflix, spread out all our craft supplies, and got to work on our respective projects. My first project was a yarn wreath. What I love about this project: it was reasonably inexpensive, really easy, and would make a great gift. However, it took about 3 hours to complete despite it's seeming simplicity.

What you need: a Styrofoam wreath, tacky glue or hot glue gun, batting, yarn, and some embellishments. That's it. One trip to Hobby Lobby and about $15 (depending on your embellishments), and you've got a cute wreath. Here's the tutorial I used. I made mine with a red, white, and blue theme:



The second project of the day was a handful of felt fortune cookies. This was also a really easy project that turned out really cute. Felt is 25 cents a sheet, and I made six cookies from one sheet.  The other materials maybe cost $5 but will make lots more cookies.   I followed this tutorial, and I will definitely be making more of these little cuties.  I even cut some printer paper and wrote fortunes for my cookies.   



A day blanketed in beautiful snow gave me just the push I needed to make some great crafts. Maybe the next time y'all are stuck at home one of these projects will brighten your snow day.

No comments: