Sunday, January 4, 2015

Living in the Moment


Warrior II pose.  Maybe this photo isn't great for demonstrating form because I was two whiskey drinks in to a night out with friends, but you get the idea.  Warrior II helps build strong bones and muscles.  It helps open up your groin and hips.  It invigorates your core and makes you feel powerful.

However, there is symbolism beyond the physical benefits of Warrior II.  As I look toward my forward hand, as I am in this photo, I am looking forward to the future.  I can set intentions, set realistic goals, and envision what my life could be like with dedication and determination.  If I were to turn my head and look back toward my backward hand, I could see my past and all the events that have made me stronger.  All the mistakes and people and choices that made me who I am.  All the happiness, all the joy, all the pain.  It all made me who I am today.

But where is my body?  Where is my brain and consciousness?  I am in the center, in the present, living each moment, enjoying every breath.  While we look forward and backward we must always remember that we are alive right now in this moment.  And this moment??  This moment is the beginning of anything you want.  Anxiety comes from thinking too much about what the future holds, and depression comes from focusing too much on the past.  Life is lived in the present; stop dwelling on what you can't change.   Focus on your breath, and as you do you can literally feel each moment.

Let's make a commitment to spend more time in Warrior II pose both physically (by practicing the pose) and mentally (by practicing its symbolism).

Need to add some inspirational songs to your playlist to help you remember to stay present??  Here are a few of my favorites.  You can click on the link to see the video.

1. Living in the Moment by Jason Mraz

2.  Be Here Now by Ray LaMontagne

3.  Shake It Out by Florence and the Machine

4.  Just Keep Breathing by We the Kings

No comments: