Tuesday, January 20, 2015

On Resentment...and Meatballs


Let's talk for a moment about resentment.  One definition of resentment is "bitter indignation at having been treated unfairly."  (Thanks, Google).  Resentment is toxic, as toxic to you as smoking.  It will scar and discolor you.  It will never let you move on.  Resentment is as heavy as obesity.  It will ruin your heart just like the constant consumption of fried foods.

We've all been treated unfairly by others.  However, we mentally cause so much more resentment in our own brains than actually exists.  "Gosh, I work hard every day.  Why don't I have an expensive car/house/________ like they do?"  "You know, I eat healthy and exercise every day.  Why don't I look like she does?"  "I do so much more work than ______ does, but no one ever tells me I do a great job around here."  "I deserve ________ more than __________ because I ______________"

We tell our children all the time that life isn't fair, but we fail to understand our own lesson.  So, I'll say it again: LIFE ISN'T FAIR.  Not today.  Not tomorrow.

Does it really matter?  There are absolutely times when we or others are horribly wronged and we must stand up and do something.  I feel very strongly about certain social inequalities and class inequalities.  We should actively defend social causes.  But those day-to-day unfairnesses that are often just created in our brains???  They've got to go.

How do I cope with resentment?  Well, gratitude is a great warrior in the cause against resentment.  I aim to be amazed each day by what I have and focus less on what I don't.  Every single day I need to be reminded of what's good in my life, and my yoga practice gives me that time.  Is that me pimping yoga again??  Yes.  Yes it is.  In that same vein, remember that happiness and peace and contentment aren't found in material things.

Another way to cope with resentment is to let it air out.  Talk to someone who you know can encourage you and support you and complement you.  I find this strategy very helpful when dealing with resentment toward myself.  "I'm too fat."  "I'm a terrible mom."  "I can't _________ like she does."  All these self-doubts and self-discontentments are unnecessary for growth.  I know that I have friends who will always have kind words for me, and I turn to them when I'm feeling down on myself.

So, more peace; less resentment.  Let's work on that.  On to the meatballs!

I used to have a favorite meatball recipe that was filled with delicious cheese.  Dairy and I aren't friends anymore, so I had to find another favorite recipe.  Chicken and quinoa meatballs are quick, nutritious and versatile.  You can surely use ground beef  or turkey instead of ground chicken if you prefer.  I personally hate ground turkey.  Here's the basic ingredient list for the Italian meatballs I make most often:

1lb ground chicken (I buy Smart Chicken mainly because it's the easiest to find)
1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2c. well-rinsed quinoa + 1 cup water, cooked for about 15 minutes)
1 egg
handful (maybe 1/3 cup) whole oats
salt (these guys need quite a bit)
black pepper
red pepper flakes
garlic or garlic powder
onion or onion powder
Dried oregano, basil, and/or fennel
1/2 cup spinach leaves torn into pieces

I don't really measure spices and seasonings, so I guessed.  This is what it looks like before I add the meat and quinoa:


Do you like my awesome Spiderman cup/flower vase?

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients together using your hands; touching raw mean sucks, but your hands are perfect tools.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Use a scoop to form meatballs, like this:


Bake for about 20 minutes.  Serve with pasta or zucchini noodles.  You can also add your favorite (not loaded with sugar) marinara sauce.  These freeze really well, so make extra.

You can change up the seasonings however you'd like.  Season them like you would a meatloaf and serve them with potatoes (or my favorite: fauxtatoes.  Fauxtatoes are the bomb).  Make some mushroom gravy for them to swim in.  Yeah, buddy.

2015: less resentment; more meatballs.


No comments: