Friday, January 30, 2015

Super Bowl Recipes



And on that note...on to some nutritious Super Bowl party recipes!

Super Bowl Sunday is another one of those days where folks like to indulge in lots of food and booze.  I don't really even like football that much, but food and booze...I love them.

However, I don't really want to get out of control eating huge amounts of sugar.  I'll make foods with lots of protein and fiber.  I'll drink a glass or two of wine or have one or two margaritas.  I will remind myself that I am far too old to to get drunk on a Sunday night.

And then, I will make loads of guacamole.  It's the easiest and tastiest party food ever invented.  All it takes is avocados, salt, lime juice, onion.  Put it in a food processor (or mash by hand), and add in tomatoes or garlic or whatever.  I have a friend who insists on adding red curry paste to her guac.  To each her own.  Add some corn chips (preferably lower in salt), and you are good to go.

But what about those weirdos who don't like guacamole?  Frankly, I'm not sure if I can trust anyone who won't eat an avocado, but I digress.  How about hummus?  I like to add red pepper flakes or Sriracha to my hummus.  My kids love it with soda crackers (Saltines), and we call it hillbilly hummus.  Feeling extra ambitious??  You can turn hummus into this delicious layered dip.

So, you don't like guac or hummus?  Oh, the horror!!  Well, I've got some treats for you, too. These meatballs are tasty.  The sauce has coconut aminos which you can find at Natural Grocers or Whole Foods.  Or what about deviled eggs?  Or my favorite sweet potato nachos?  White bean and chicken chili? The possibilities for a nutritious, low-sugar yet still splurgy Super Bowl party are endless.

However you decide to enjoy Sunday's game, I hope you do it with folks you love and food you love.  Save the guilt for another day.  Like Monday.  When you'll be back on the treadmill and the yoga studio.  :-)

No comments: