Thursday, December 17, 2009

Latest Book: The Widow of the South

I just "finished" the historical fiction novel The Widow of the South". I didn't really finish it though. I skipped to the far back of the book and looked at the questions in the reader's guide that basically clued me in to the end of the story. The story is based on the McGavcock family's plantation during the final months of the Civil War. The plantation becomes a hospital for the wounded and dying and eventually became a cemetery that still exists today. The main characters and events are based on actual accounts and people, but there is some exaggeration of plot events to make it more exciting.

I heard good things about this book, but I just couldn't get into it. It was written for the perspectives of many different central characters which meant a lot of jumping from place to place and person to person. I think that's what really turned me off. I got tired of having to figure out who's perspective I was reading.

In the end, I'd recommend this book for people that really love to read and don't need to be held in the grips of mystery and excitement at every turn. I can see why this is a good book, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments: