Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Grandma's Coffee Cups


My grandmother passed away in September after a long battle with cancer. Cancer was a part of my grandmother's life for years, but she didn't let it slow her down. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to hear the words, "You have cancer," but I saw how strong and brave my grandmother was. She helped and supported others with cancer while fighting her own battles. She cared for my aunt who is disabled while dealing with her own decreasing abilities.

My grandma was known for her multitude of Christmas decorations. Her farm's yard was filled with lights and a manger scene. The inside of the house had every imaginable snoring Santa or singing elf. I, however, will always remember a different set of decorations. In her small dining room she had some shelves on which she placed a collection of coffee cups. The one I remember most is a striped Garfield cup. I also purchased one for her on a trip to Chicago many years ago. While beginning the overwhelming task of cleaning out my grandma's house, I asked my mom if she could save those two coffee cups for me. Sure enough, she brought them to me this weekend.

I haven't really found a home for them yet, so in the meantime they're sitting on a shelf in the aforementioned multipurpose room. I spend a lot of time there, and the cups will be a nice reminder of a happy childhood at my grandma's farm.

No comments: