Monday, January 18, 2010

Healthy Body Challenge Day 1

We all make resolutions at the dawn of each new year. I resolved to be the best mom, wife and friend I could be. I have also decided to be a healthier me. In order to be here for my children for years to come, I'll need to make sure I have a healthy mind and body. I've decided two things: I need to eat better to lose weight and I need to spend some time away from my kids.

Today I started my "diet" of less processed foods and no red meat or bacon. I'm also determined to remove fake sugar from my diet, but I already drank a diet soda today so that will have to start tomorrow, I guess. I'm going to learn to make my own ranch dressing and my own potato chips. I'm going to eat more plants and less food that is made in a plant. I stole those two ideas from author Michael Pollan. They are two of his food rules. He says you can eat as much junk food as you want if you make it yourself. I'm going to hold him to that. I want to lose 20 lbs. in six months. I'd still be chubby but a good, junk in the trunk, curvy chubby. I tried to weigh myself today, but my battery-operated scale is out of juice and takes those stupid little flat batteries which I never have on hand. Of course. Murphy's Law and all.

My second decision to spend less time with my kids may seem harsh at first glance. However, after spending most of my time since 2002 either pregnant or nursing (plus Colby's little stints in St. Joe, Seward, and Ohio without us), I think it's time for me to spend time with my friends. I have to learn to not feel guilty every time I leave the house alone. I need to learn to have fun without the kids, and they need to learn to have fun without me. I love my children, but I love me, too. The old saying, "If mom's not happy no one is" is right on point and will be my new mantra (right along with "No coffee, no workee" and "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.").

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Good for you. In keeping with the Michael Pollan method, a few years back I decided that every day I would eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies. Now, when I'm in the mood to snack, I check my fruit and veggie total for the day & then have an apple (or whatever).

Between that and working out, I lost more than 50 pounds. Epic life stress also helped, though I don't recommend it.

I'll send the fried pickles recipe soon :).