Saturday, January 2, 2010

Latest Book: The Lovely Bones

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

So begins The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It's an interesting tale written form the perspective of a young girl in heaven who watches her family cope with the loss of their oldest child. I saw that Bones is now a movie, and it might just be one worth seeing. The book was fantastic: emotional, mysterious, and gripping. Unlike the previous reviewed book (Handle With Care, see earlier blog if you missed it), The Lovely Bones has family drama, mystery, and something more beneath the surface. There are life in Sebold's words, not the emptiness I got from Picoult's. At the end of BonesI felt much more fulfilled about the hours I'd invested.

No comments: