Friday, September 10, 2010

Flat Apple Pie

I am 31 years old but had never made a scratch pie crust until last night. I read a recipe for something called Flat Apple Pie in a Pioneer Woman cookbook that sounded yummy. I figured that since I am good at baking tasty treats that don't necessarily look the fanciest, an apple pie that was quite rustic would be perfect.

So, I made pie crust from scratch. The recipe recommended freezing the dough for extra flakiness. Here are my pretty pie crusts ready to go in the freezer.


When I thawed them and used them the next day, I found them to be a bit sticky but crumbly. I couldn't just lift them up off the counter and put them on the baking sheet like I can with the store bought kind. I made due by flipping them from the cutting board to the baking sheet.

Making apple pie filling (I have done this before and used store-bought crusts for the pie) is pretty simple, but it is time consuming and a little messy.


The rustic little pies smelled like heaven as they baked. I think Colby and I are the only ones that ate the pies, but I'm surely not complaining about that. In fact, I purposefully make things I know the kids won't eat just so I have the chance to have a bite for once.


I'm sure I will attempt pie crusts again. Hey, when you've got cute aprons, you can't help but want to bake.

No comments: