Thursday, September 23, 2010

You Know Those 2 am Phone Calls? Never Good News

Yes, it's 3 am. I have been awake for over an hour now. My blood is running cold. I just want to sit with Colby. A cat or two has joined us. It's the middle of the night, but this isn't a dream.

There was a shooting across the street from Farmland Foods in Crete where Colby works. An employee walked in and started shooting and then apparently killed himself. The details are sketchy right now.

All I know for sure is this: my husband has a dangerous job. He suspends, investigates, and fires people. He changes people's lives, sometimes not in a good way. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to get angry and shoot him at work. Farmland Foods has security but not like a courthouse. Colby's work area is an easy target.

I never, ever worried until tonight that Colby could die at work. He has since day one of his job believed that we can't live in Crete because he doesn't want people to know where we live. I certainly worried that he could get punched in the face, but never shot.

Let's hope that lightning doesn't strike twice.

2 comments:

denimflyz said...

I read this morning about this terrible act this morning on the news that I get that comes up on the computer. I am truly sorry and I wish I could give you comfort.
We truly live in a very dangerous time, with all of the unemployment, and it seems the drugs and alcohol problems that people bring to work, that in turn makes them get fired from work, and then the anger of being fired and the cycle begins. It is like a keg of gun powder, or as my dad would say from the Navy, "a loose cannon on deck" at work.
It seems where we live here in Nebraska, we do not really see any violence as other cities, but it seems now, that it is now beginning.
Please take care
Denimflyz

Stacy said...

Oh golly.

That's scary. Hang in there. Glad y'all are well.