Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Egg Salad


I found a great recipe for egg salad in the most recent Everyday Food magazine. It's a lot less fatty than traditional egg salad, and the dogs were more than happy to eat the extra boiled egg yolks.

4 large eggs
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbls fresh lemon juice (this was too much for my tastes)
1/4 avocado, diced (I didn't have a ripe one, but I wish I had)
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 slices smoked salmon
1/3 c watercress, thick ends trimmed (didn't have any, I've never bought it)
2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted (I used English muffins)

1. In a small pot, cover eggs with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 12 minutes. Transfer eggs to a colander and run cold water over them until they are cool enough to handle. Peel eggs and separate whites from the yolk. Reserve one yolk (or two if you're like me). Coarsely chop the egg whites.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together mustard and lemon juice. Finely grate egg yolk into mustard mixture and whisk to combine. Stir in egg whites and avocado and season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide smoked salmon, egg salad, and watercress between toasts. Serves 2 (or one if you're like me).

No comments: