Thursday, March 17, 2011

GOP: The Party of Fiscal Responsibility????

The House voted today to eliminate federal funding of NPR (National Public Radio) and banned local broadcasting stations from using federal funds to pay fees to NPR or buy NPR programming.

Sure, times are tough, and there are things that this country needs to do to be fiscally responsible. According to the article I read it looks like cutting funding to NPR will save perhaps a whopping $60 million. And my whopping I mean measly. I mean, come on, people. The GOP claims that it is trying to balance the budget, cut the deficit, make America better and more responsible. There is tons of money spent on far more frivolous things......and millionaires who could surely chip in a little bit more tax money.....in fact, maybe the $60 million needed for NPR.....or perhaps some money for Planned Parenthood....

Here's how I would explain this to my kids, "Guys, we need to cut some things out of our budget. Times are tough, and we need to save money. The good news is that mommy still gets to spend $30 at Starbucks. (Side note: I don't.) The bad news is that we will have to stop donating that $10 a week to charity."

It's ridiculous. Party of fiscal responsibility?? How about party of fiscal douchebaggery.

No comments: