Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cupcakes for Jake

I saw these super cute cupcakes on a website, and I just had to try making them for the potluck being thrown for my brother-in-law-to-be, Jacob. Jake is a Marine headed overseas for a loooooong tour of duty. When he comes home next year he and Colby's sister Carrie will have a wedding (in which I will be the matron of honor - Holla!). I think my kickass cupcakes may have just sealed the deal on the whole matron of honor thing, right?

The cupcakes are meant to look like food on the grill: hot dogs, corn on the cob, steaks, and kabobs. Of course, the ones on the website were perfect, but mine are as close to perfection as I can get. Colby helped me make all the little kabobs and hot dogs. I never knew my husband could be so talented at turning Hot Tamales into hot dogs! Way to go, Babe.



The second cakes I made were called Glazed Donut Muffins. While the cake itself was okay, the glaze was great. All you had to do was dip the cakes in the glaze and let it harden. I could even stack the cakes because, unlike frosting, the glaze didn't rub off all over anything it touched. I will definitely be using it again.



I'm very touched that Carrie chose me to be her matron of honor. Hopefully my homemaking ninja skills will be helpful as wedding planning continues.

No comments: