Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy (gasp) 13th Birthday, Dade!

I am officially the parent of a teenager. I'm treading waters unknown again, and Dade is, as he has always been, the test pilot on our flight of parenthood. Thankfully, he's a great kid who likes to read and keep to himself. His Science teacher told us he's one of the most compassionate and respectful kids she's ever met. Yep, that's Dade. Although, I was hoping that he'd break us in a little with all the teenage drama so we'd know what to expect with the next three kids. I don't think he's gonna be "that kid."

He's such an easy to please kid, and he was happy to invite his family to eat with him at Valentino's to celebrate his birthday. He was happy to get books and clothes (and a video game) for his birthday.








He requested a Nutter Butter Blizzard cake from Dairy Queen, but unfortunately the freezer at the DQ closest to us broke down and most of the cakes melted. They didn't have Nutter Butter, so he had to settle for Oreo ice cream cake. I don't think he was too disappointed. It was, after all, still ice cream cake.


Although Dad is already planning what he'll do with Dade's room when he moves out to go to college, Mom is wondering what happened to my sophomore year in college when Dade was born. Wow. Thirteen years flies by awfully fast.

To my boy who is turning into a man. To my boy who loves his baby sisters and brother like crazy. To my boy who runs down the block just to hold the neighbor lady's baby grandson because he loves babies soooooo much. To my boy who has his Mama's sense of humor and his Dad's feet (Side note: our new favorite joke - if you say "beer can" in a British accent it sounds like "bacon" in a Jamaican accent). To my boy who wanted nothing more than a bag of Pay Day candy bars as a birthday present.... Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: