Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who Cares?

I will admit that I did not watch in their entirety the potential Republican presidential candidates debate. I've seen large segments while viewing my favorite news talk shows, however, and what I've seen isn't encouraging.

First of all, Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann each have only half a brain between them. They are dangerous, dangerously stupid. They spout lies and portray them as facts. They are seriously deluded. They prove that good looks can get you far even if you don't have a brain to fill that pretty little head.

What I find most disturbing, however, is the audiences at the debates. Here is a room full of normal, everyday Americans cheering the over 200 executions performed under Rick Perry's administration. No need to point out that many of them were probably innocent or might have family and friends that love them dearly despite their crimes.

Then there is another room filled with normal, everyday Americans shouting "YES!" when a commentator asks Rand Paul if we should just let the uninsured die. That's right: let the uninsured die because this is a free country in which you are able to freely choose whether or not to buy health insurance and if you don't then too bad. What is wrong with these people?

I know what's wrong...no one seems to care anymore. I don't mean that people are ambivalent to the plight of others; I mean they just don't care about other people anymore. Period.

It's easy not to care about someone you don't know or about someone whose troubles are not your own. It's easy to pretend that bad things only happen to "those people." It's easy to dismiss the suffering of others.

But it shouldn't be.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Well said.

I also found the audience disturbingly cruel. When I think of being in a community, it's not with people like them.