Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

It's hard to fit all we did over Labor Day weekend on just one blog post, but I'll try. The post is long but totally worth the time. Hang in there with me.

First, we headed to Norfolk to watch the first Husker football game of the season. We stayed over at Colby's parents' house, and now that Colby's sister has moved out they have three spare bedrooms to hold all of us when we come to visit.

Sunday was packed with fun. We went to Verdigre which, for those of you who don't know, is where Colby's parents grew up and where his grandparents still live. We went to a family farm to ride four wheelers and hunt frogs. I took a few quick photos of the kids (all of Colby's parents' grand kids) before they headed off to play.






We all took turns giving the kids a ride on the four wheelers. Colby's brother and his family was with us, and Colby's sister was there, too. Her hubby-to-be is as we speak somewhere in Afghanistan fighting for our country as a U.S. Marine. More on that in a minute.











Here's the view of Verdigre from the top of the farmhouse's lane:



And here's my Soren in her favorite place ever: on front of the four wheeler with Daddy



Colby even took his Grandma for a ride:



Frogging is a family affair that requires lots of manly tools. There were three generations of Veselys out frog hunting using spears and fishing poles and pellet guns.





Lots of frogs were caught, and rural Nebraska is a picture of nature's beauty. It makes me proud to be a Nebraskan (not the frog hunting, the scenery).



Soren and I hanging out while the men, boys, and the boy on the edge of becoming a man hunt frogs:



Brody was particularly fond of shooting frogs with the bee bee gun.



Right after I took this photo Brody said, "Watch out, Grandpa. I'm a horrible shot." Fair warning given and heeded.



Soren took a photo of me with Colby's sister after we hiked to the top of a huge hill:



Now, back to my Marine brother in law to be stationed in Afghanistan, Jacob. It is my understanding that Jacob shoots an AR15 as his Marine weapon of choice. Guess what? I shoot one, too. I'm officially qualified to be a Marine, right? Well, maybe I should learn to burn my own turds and eat Spam before I commit to Uncle Sam.

Here's Colby giving me a lesson:



Here's Colby molesting me while I get ready to fire:



And here's me getting ready, aiming, and firing the biggest frickin' gun I've ever seen:



Now, back to the frogs. We went back to Norfolk with a cooler full of frogs. My father in law and brother in law cleaned them, and my mother in law did what any good wife does: fries up the day's kill.




Despite my toothache (see the next post) we had a great weekend!!

1 comment:

jeanne said...

This family knows how to have good clean fun!!! well maybe not always clean...just sayin!!!