Sunday, January 8, 2012

Corporate Bread Experiment Part 2

A few weeks ago I bitched a little bit about how much work it is to make most foods from scratch. My new motto, "If I CAN make it myself then I SHOULD make it myself" has been difficult to live up to in some respect - particularly not purchasing "corporate" bread. Lucky for my sanity, I've found two yeast bread recipes that will make my life a little bit easier.

I've found a great hoagie bun recipe that is both easy and versatile courtesy of Taste of Home. You can find it here, and I suggest that if you ever get the urge to make some buns then try these. I've used them toasted for french dip sandwiches and used them for regular sandwich rolls. Mmmmm!

I've also found an easy, healthy, and ample recipe for an all-purpose wheat bread for everyday use. It made great egg-in-a-basket, sandwiches, french toast, grilled cheese, and toast. I found it here on Allrecipes. It makes three loaves (which lasts about 3 days here), and I froze one to see how it turned out after being thawed - it was great.

Pizza dough from scratch is really easy and delicious. Here's a nice recipe for a basic pizza dough, but I've made a few changes. I add almost a teaspoon each more sugar (or honey) and sea salt. I also use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. I've added herbs and garlic to the crust, as well, and it's really good. I guess if I give you a crust recipe I should provide a homemade pizza sauce recipe. I don't use the canned tomato sauce called for in the recipe because I still have tomatoes from our garden frozen in the deep freezer.

I hope maybe you'll find the time to try some yeast breads in your kitchens. Maybe you won't make them every day like I do, but that's only because you're not a sucker for punishment.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

And now I have some happy weekend cooking plans ---- thanks for the links!