Saturday, January 14, 2012

Girl Scout Cookies on Sale Now

This is my first year as a Girl Scout/GS Troop Leader. So far, so good. Of course, the highlight of the Girl Scouts for many is the annual cookies sales, which for us began yesterday. I found a great article about the history of GS cookies.

For a troop like mine, selling cookies will be our lifeline. We are like a political campaign in desperate need of funding. I have an amazing troop of girls, but we don't really have the money to participate in many activities. We are constantly trying to find free things to do. I've spent a bit of my own money buying crafts and such. We've spent a big chunk of money sending food and treats to a soldier overseas. We do our best with limited funds, but it would be nice to have a little more money to spend on cool field trips and an end of the year troop activity (like camp or something).

I will point out that unlike Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts organization on a national level accepts ALL girls - even ones who are gay and even a transgendered boy. Said acceptance of a transgendered boy has caused a great deal of controversy and even a cookie boycott movement. I would never attach my name to an organization that I felt had a philosophy of exclusion, and I encourage everyone to buy Girl Scout cookies this year. If you want to help out but don't want all those cookies in your house, give a Gift of Sharing. This means that you purchase a box of cookies that is then donated to the charity chosen by the troop (often a food pantry or shelter or overseas military). The troop gets the money, but you don't get a fat ass. It's a win-win.

Whether it's Peanut Butter Patties or Shortbreads, no matter which cookie is your favorite you can be confident that purchasing Girl Scout cookies will make your life a little sweeter - and help out girls in your community.

No comments: