Saturday, January 7, 2012

Take Me to Your Leader

Inspired by a New Year's Eve conversation with a friend, I've been thinking a lot about what it would be like to be a Republican voter right now. During said conversation, I asked my friend who she was planning on voting for in the next election. Her response was such a non-answer that she could probably run for office herself if she has more non-answers like this: "I didn't vote for Barack Obama the first time, and I'm not voting for him this time."

So, she doesn't know who she IS going to vote for, but she does know who she ISN'T going to vote for. Not resigned to take such an apathetic answer, I asked her husband who Republicans should vote for if they are dissatisfied with Obama. I was somewhat surprised when he answered, "Rick Perry." Oh snap!! I quickly changed the subject to avoid ruining the happy New Year's buzz I had thanks to chardonnay and mimosas.

As I recall from the 2008 election season, I didn't know who I wanted vote for: Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. But my indecision was based on having two GOOD choices not five bad choices. The Republicans have spent the last year or so looking for a leader. It seems that most will settle and vote for Mitt Romney if he is the GOP nominee. However, Mr. 25% is certainly not a leader. He doesn't inspire. He doesn't resonate. He's flippy-floppy. He bears the John Kerry-esque stench of money that the common man finds hard to handle.

I want the Republicans to have a leader if only for the sake of my own political discussions among my friends. I want Republicans to have someone to keep them warm at night instead of just a warm body, you know? If they can't give me that then I will continue to have uncomfortable Rick Perry moments with my friends. And I don't like that one bit.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

"Stench of money" is a phrase I will be using often to describe Mitt. Well said!