Saturday, November 3, 2012

Autumn's Bounty

Today I am thankful for Autumn: its weather, its effect on the trees, and its harvest bounty.  Everyone knows I love to eat, and my favorite part of Fall is apples...loads and loads of apples!  Autumn in Nebraska can be a little, well, brown.  The fields have been harvested and only dirt is left behind.  There aren't too many trees here, so I really enjoy the fleeting red and yellow leaves when I see them.  Otherwise, there are just miles and miles of dirt fields, dead grass pastures, and gravel roads.  Brown, brown, and brown.

Apples, however, come in so many beautiful shades of red, yellow, and green.  Autumn's tastiest harvest is also really cheap right now which fits in perfectly with our stretched budget.  While they are available, pick up some apples and make this apple crisp.  It is so delicious!!  I have eaten two or three batches all by myself so far this year.  The best part?  You leave the skins on the apples! 

Autumn, thank you for your crisp mornings, tasty fruit, and pretty scenery (what you can find of it here in Nebraska).  I am so thankful when you arrive each year to end summer's heat. 


No comments: