Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote!

This Election Day I am thankful to be able to vote.  Women couldn't always vote, and I don't take lightly the suffrage that took place to earn me this right.  Women shouldn't have needed to earn the right to vote, and in essence the right to full personhood, but we did.  Why didn't more men fight for their wives?  Well, it's a stupid question I guess, but one worth bringing up again today.

Part of the modern Republican agenda involves setting women back at least one hundred years:  redefining rape, trying to limit access to birth control through Planned Parenthood and private insurance, and making access to abortion next to impossible.  One might think this is 1912, but it isn't...it's 2012.  More men should be furious that their wives, girlfriends, sisters, friends, and daughters are being treated this way.  Hell, I don't understand why more women aren't furious about how the radical Right has taken over the Republican party. 

But, I digress.  I am thankful for all the women who fought for our right to vote, and I continue to be thankful for the women who fight for the right for me to control my own reproductive organs. 

I am also thankful my wonderful husband could go vote with me.   


No comments: