Tuesday, March 19, 2013

DIY Hand Soap

We go through a lot of soap in the Vescapades house, soap and toilet paper. I can't make my own toilet paper (although we do live about 2 blocks from a corn field...Haha), but I can make my own hand soap. For about $3.50 I can make a gallon of hand soap using my favorite bars of Ayurvedic soap. It's so easy I can whip up a batch in the morning before school and pour it into bottles before bedtime (it has to set for 10-12 hours).

I followed the tutorial on this blog. A few notes about this soap: it has the consistency of snot. So, as you pour it into bottles you might need to squish it between your fingers to break up the soft "chunks" of soap. A funnel is a valuable tool at the bottle-filling stage. Also, you can grate the bar of soap by hand, but I use a food processor.

If you are trying to be funny, you can tell the kids when they ask what you are cooking that they are having soap for supper. Yum yum.

No comments: