Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Think It's Working

Influenza A invaded our home, knocking Brody and Soren out for two days.  Colby was hit the hardest; he missed four days of work.  Luckily, his new employer has a culture of putting the employee first, so they were really great about giving him the time off.  Evelyn, Dade, and I avoided the sickness, and I have two theories as to why:

Theory 1: Dade and Evelyn generally avoid direct contact with their brothers and sisters. They are affectionate with me but no so much with the other members of our family. In fact, I'm pretty sure even though Evie and Soren share a bedroom (or maybe because they share a room), they try to stay apart as much as possible.

Theory 2: I have constant contact with everyone in the family, including lots of kisses with those infected with the virus. Soren drinks out of my cup all.the.time without telling me. So, why didn't I get sick? I didn't get a flu shot, that's for sure. Me+needle = hell to the no. What I do is yoga. What I do is eat a balanced diet. What I do is use essential oils and supplements to help keep my body strong. I think that this time at least it helped me avoid getting sick. I swear that since I started doing yoga, I get sick measurably less than I did before. If I do get sick, the illness is less intense. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows? I work at a gym (one of the germiest places you'll visit), and I manage to avoid most of the plagues going around.

So, next flu season if you choose not to get a flu shot, I have two suggestions to help you avoid getting sick: do yoga or avoid as many people as possible. Words to live by.

No comments: