Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Healthy Body Challenge Update

Having committed myself to changing what types of things I put on my body as well as in my body, I have been trying lots of homemade cleaning products.  After a few months, I have pretty much figured out what I like and what I miss.

Here's what chemical-laden products I think I'll miss:
fabric softener (the natural stuff just isn't the same)
hair conditioner (I actually couldn't give it up...I just bought some sulfate free stuff)
hair dye (seriously, I want to color my hair so badly!!!)
perfume (Chanel #5, once you are all gone I will miss you terribly)

Here are some all-natural replacements I LOVE:
hand sanitizer (aloe vera gel, witch hazel, and lavender oil...that's it!)
Shampoo, body wash, hand soap (Castile soap is great!)
Glass cleaner (water, vinegar, alcohol, and corn starch)
"Clorox wipes"...I love my natural version so much I am sharing the recipe!
Eucalyptus oil in the toilet before going #2 (no smell, I swear!)

As promised, here's the recipe for the all natural disinfectant wipes:



So, the photo is sideways, but you can still read the recipe. I like to put the recipe for my cleaners right on the container. It's a great way to save time. Open up the container, and on the inside are old t-shirts cut up into washcloth-sized scraps. If you have some old, light-colored t-shirts laying around, here's a chance to use them. You can toss the used cloths right into a load of laundry.



Tea tree oil and vinegar have become my new best friends. They kill all kinds of germs and viruses and even fungus, and they don't wreak havoc on your skin. The kids don't really like the smell, but they are used to the artificial smell from chemical cleansers. I happen to like the smell, but I appreciate the health benefits more than the scent.

My next voyage into a healthier body is a 6-pack abs challenge I found on Pinterest. It involves doing an increasingly difficult number of push ups, sit ups, and planks each day in March. I'll let you know how that 6-pack is coming along.

No comments: