Monday, July 27, 2009

A Good, But Depressing, Book


Life sucks. Yes, it's true. As Elizabeth Edwards points out in her book Resilience, life sends winds strong enough to blow us off course. Like the wind that sent her son Wade's car off the road causing a wreck that killed him instantly. Edwards goes on and on about what a great kid he was and questions why God would take such a nice boy. There are plenty of worse people who could've died instead, I guess. Resilience is both morbid and inspiring. I found so much loneliness in Edwards' life. After the death of her son she moved on and had more children. However, it seemed to me that she continues through life shackled to the death of her firstborn. It doesn't help that she was diagnosed with breast cancer when her children were preschoolers or that said cancer is now terminal. Her husband John (you know, the guy who ran for vice president) cheated on her while she was battling cancer. Theirs seems to be a strong marriage nonetheless because, I think, they've realized that marriage isn't always about love but is instead about commitment.

Edwards details all the tragedies in her life and attempts to contrast them with her optimism and, well, resilience. Despite the fact that I find her to be very strong, the book left me feeling more depressed than hopeful. It is a beautifully written memoir that oftentimes flounders with repetition. I will not ever criticize how she grieves the loss of her son or handles the cancer that is slowly ravaging her body. I will say, however, that a book entitled Resilience seems a little more like a pity party to me.

Perhaps the reason I find the book so depressing is that I am that person who always thinks I have cancer and that I'll get in a car wreck with a minivan full of kids. I'm the person who never likes to travel alone with my husband for fear that we will both die and then who will raise our children?? If so many terrible things can happen to such a smart, beautiful, intelligent lady what chance have I got? I had hoped that the book would leave me feeling that I could survive in the face of these adversities, but instead I just felt bad.

No comments: