Sunday, July 5, 2009

It's Like Afghanistan but Without the Social Unrest and Property Damage

July 4th was my Independence Day: the three oldest kids left for a week at Grandma's. Hooray!

Colby's parents came down from Norfolk to pick up the kids, light firecrackers, and help install some new light fixtures. The kids were so excited to leave that I wondered if perhaps there's something wrong with me??? Grandpa and Grandma have a week of fun and exciting activities planned, and I know the kids can't wait to eat ice cream sandwiches and chips all week. In honor of America's celebration of Independence, the local newspaper printed an American history quiz. My mother-in-law and I only got one out of 25 wrong: what year was the Constitution ratified. . . who cares? I'm not so good with dates. We also forgot the "freedom to petition" when listing the 5 rights guaranteed by the first amendment, but who the hell petitions anymore anyway? Colby and his dad got 2 ceiling fans and one entry way light installed. Photos will follow as soon as the living room is all done.

We lit fireworks with the neighbors until 11pm, but the neighborhood was alight with celebratory fireworks until at least 12:30 am. I thought that this must be what it's like to live in a war zone - minus the fear, death and destruction.

Sans 3 children, Colby, Soren, and I headed to our favorite swanky restaurant (Green Gateau) for breakfast this morning. I had Eggs Oscar: eggs Benedict with crab cakes instead of canadian bacon. TO DIE FOR. Seriously. Wow. We plan to spend the rest of the day on home improvement projects. The fun is over.

No comments: