Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer Reading


We are all participating in the summer reading program at the local library. On a side note, I want to give a shout out to the government for public libraries. That said, I can continue. Mostly the reading program just consists of visiting the library to do activities and reading a certain number of hours or pages.

I rarely read fiction books. I often find that real life is stranger than fiction anyway. In an earlier blog I had espoused a new commitment to reading, and the reading program has encouraged me to do so. The book I'm currently reading is Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. It is one of several memoirs of her life. So far, it's a great book. I just finished her most recent memoir Pretty in Plaid which was also laugh out loud funny and sweet. Jen Lancaster is an overweight, pretty, and smart woman who loves expensive clothes, Twinkies, and sarcasm. She's like an overweight Carrie Bradshaw dripping with sarcasm and butter. My type of girl. I usually read intellectual non fiction about Darfur and social justice, and Ms. Lancaster's books have been a breath of fresh air.

No comments: